- Why do you love gouache and watercolor?
- My favorite paint is gouache, I love the fact that is opaque so I can get dense bright color combinations and layer light on dark and dark on light. I also can add more water to create a more transparent look so it fills all the requirements for me. I do use straight watercolor sometimes but more when I want to use lots of water and let the randomness of the blending just happen and surprise me.
- How much does color fit into your work and the art you aim to create?
- Color is number 1. It creates the mood, it evokes a strong response in me and others whether I’m going neutral, all bright warm colors or creating a dark ground image. There are endless choices to make with color. I never get tired of it.
- How are you staying creative in this turbulent time? Do you have suggestions for other artists?
- I’m doing one of the numerous challenges on histogram right now, This one is a flower a day, It keeps me focused and sane, At least I’ve done one thing by the end of the day. I am hosting another challenge for 2 weeks starting April 1. I will announce it on my IG feed @augustwren
- Do you have a creative practice or routine? If so, how do you stick to it?
- I pretty consistently work all day, starting quite early and I fizzle out by late afternoon. I have work that needs to get done in that time as well as my personal projects. At this point its just a habit.
- What’s your favorite subject to paint? Why are you drawn to it?
- I enjoy painting so many things. I don’t like to stick to only one type of image, thats why my work looks so diverse. Flowers come naturally to me, so I do them when I’m more unsettled and restless. I love painting animals, people, scenes, memories of places. So many things!!
- What (or who!) keeps you inspired?
- My long morning walk is always a good time to look, think, imagine, listen rev up for the day. My travels and time in the city also is so inspiring. Of course none of that is possible right now so talking with friends and family and staying connected brings my calm and inspiration.
- Can you tell us about an upcoming project you’re excited about?
- I have begun exploring some large scale acrylic paintings. I don’t know where I’m going with them yet but its opening up a whole new way of thinking and painting which is very exciting!
Live Gouache Workshop: Interview with August Wren