Featured image by Jonathan Twingley
Do you ever wonder about style when making art? What is your style? How do you find it? You’re not the only one! We have a community full of people exploring their own styles and learning from each other about what their art says about them, and what the art they make says to the world at large!
When you feel like you’re in a rut about finding your own groove, this list of quotes compiled by our community may help you to get some inspiration and get going on making art in whatever way suits you.
- Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn. Gore Vidal
- A line is a dot that went for a walk. Paul Klee
- Art is whatever you can get away with. John Cage
- Inspiration exists, but it has to find you at work. Pablo Picasso
- Inspiration doesn’t follow style, it creates it. Walter Darby Bannard
- Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you! Dr. Seuss
- Create your own visual style…let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles
- A man’s style is his minds voice. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
- Don’t play what’s there, play what’s not there. Miles Davis
- The more you leave out, the more you highlight what you leave in. Henry Green
- Your solutions are your style. Marian Stevens
- Don’t waste time looking for your style. The truth is you already have it. You may just need to create more in order to see it. Promise Tangeman
- Practice any art…no matter how well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what’s inside you, to make your soul grow. Kurt Vonnegut
- Style is the mind skating circles around itself as it moves forward. Robert Frost
Do you have a quote that inspires you when you find yourself in a slump?